Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Friday, August 5, 2011

World Cup U-20: Argentina vs England

Well it finally arrived! This week I went to the World Cup U-20 game in Medellín with my friends Sara and Leo. We saw Argentina play England each other.



Upon arriving to the stadium, which was a sold-out game, we found the buses of each team, so we were taking pictures next to each bus. While we were doing this, a bunch of colombians were doing the same, and one of them noticed me, and then asked in broken English "can I take a photo with you?".... apparently he thought I was British, because I wearing red, blue, and white (colours of England´s team),and I was speaking English. (Meh, Canadian... close enough. So I agreed, and we took 2 photos together, then afterwards I busted out my Spanish and said "Alguien más? 5 mil cada foto"... which means "Anyone else? 5 thousand pesos each photo". The guy was shocked, he didnt know I spoke Spanish, the expression on his face was priceless. I love that I can joke in Spanish, it´s so amusing.




It took a while to find our seats because there were SOOO many people, but it was great to see the amount of people there and the fact the game was sold out! Glad I bought our tickets super early (back in April). Our seats were on the upper level, but perfectly centered so we had great views during the game.




The game started out with Argentina having the most posession of the ball, which I immediately thought... great we´re going to lose (I was cheering for England by the way...given my mom´s whole side of the family is from the mother country). However in the second half England stepped up their game and started to play much more aggressively, and have more posession than Argentina.



The game was good, not crazy exciting like I thought it would be, but still good. There were a lot of shots on net, and at one point a shot went in, and it appeared that England had scored against Argentina. So Sara and I went nuts along with the other England fans in the crowd (note... there werent many). At one point I think i even yelled "Suck it Argentina" out of pure excitement, but then realized that the goal was called offside, and it didnt count. My expression and mood quickly changed from pure excitement to pure disappointment. Haha. Unfortunately for the rest of the game there were no other goals, and the game ended 0-0.


However, even though there werent goals, it was still a great experience to go to a World Cup U-20 game, and of course see 2 countries play, that bred some of the best soccer players in the world: England and Argentina. After the game, Leo, Sara and I went to grab some good old Colombian street meat. Now this is much different than Canadian street meat, as it´s more delicious and you get way more food.

For example... for $8.000 pesos (around $4 CDN) you get, a huge piece of bbq chicken on a stick, with an arepa, salad, and french fries. Not a bad deal, plus it was delicious. Check out a photo here:




Here is a video I took while at the game:

No comments:

Post a Comment