Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Friday, June 3, 2011

Language Exchange

Last night I met up with some Colombian students (ranging in age from 14 - 25 yrs) who are currently learning English. A friend of mine is friends with their English teacher, and she asked if I would be interested in participating in a 2 hour conversation session with them, so they could practice with a native English speaker. So of course I said yes!

I met up with them at EAFIT after I finished work, and then we walked to a plaza to get some food. They were all very shy and quiet when I first met up with them, but after awhile they warmed up, and began chatting with me. It was interesting because one student who was very eager to speak with me would have trouble at times and ask his teacher in Spanish what he wanted to ask me in English, I had to bit my tongue in responding because everytime he asked his teacher in Spanish I knew what he was saying, but had to wait for him to ask me in English for him to practice.

Two students were highschool students and another was a lawyer. They asked me where I was from, why I chose Colombia, what Ive seen/visited so far in Medellín and Colombia as a whole, places I should go, and if I like Colombian food. It was a fun and short session but they were all very nice.

It was nice to help them out, becasue I know what it´s like to be in that position to be learning a language and to be shy and a little scared about speaking it with a native speaker. But, I told them, dont be shy it´s ok to make mistakes, it´s how you learn. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment