Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Kickboxing: my new fitness obsession

When I first joined my gym back in March I was really into the latin dance, circuit and spinning classes, which use to give me a great and challenging workout. However after 7 months and losing 20 lbs, those classes just dont do it for me anymore, since my cardio and fitness levels have immensely improved. So I decided to switch up my normal gym routine and try harder a class... low and behold: KICKBOXING.


The first kickboxing class I did was with this super intense, super serious young instructor, where I almost died of exhaustion and wanted to vomit afterwards, it was that intense. However after gaining back confidence to do it again, I went to another class this time with a different instructor, named Javier, and had the best time. Javier is a great instructor, he's easy going, really nice, has a great sense of humour and still provides a physically challenging class... but it's totally fun to do. For now im going to kickboxing twice a week, soon I want to bump that up to 3 times, and then eventually to 4 times a week. During my lunch time on Wednesdays, I go to Javiers class, where I am normally the only girl - this surprisingly doesnt intimidate me, in fact I love it more when Im the only girl, because I feel like I can show off a bit, show how strong I am and physically fit. Normally during this class I can outlast the boys when it comes to cardio and endurance, booya.

Tonight I went to a class after work, and normally to warm up we do these series of jumping squats, pushups, situps, and side jumping for 5 sets. However tonight, Javier changed it up, and we played tag. Yes tag, the elementary school game where one person is "it" and you chase the other people. It was hilarious, so much fun, and surprisingly gave us a great warmup. Javier changed it up a couple times, by changing out positions on how we could run... first we ran normally around the fitness room, next we had to scuffle in a squat position, then came downward dog and walk on all fours, then finally in a position that was like a squat but you had to jump to move. By the end of the warm up, I could seriously feel it in my legs, which actually surprised me, because we were laughing the whole time, and actually really enjoying the warmup exercise. :)

Anyways, Im really enjoying my new classes of kickboxing, and anyone who has never tried it, really should! It gives a great physical workout both cardio and strength training, you use your whole body - and trust me, you'll feel it the next day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment