Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

3 days, 2 conferences, Spanish 24/7

My working life has been incredibly busy this week, and will continue to be so until 6pm on Friday. What makes this week so hectic?... well it's the week before Semana Santa (Holy Week). For those of you who don't know, Semana Santa is a religious week filled with processions, and celebrations for Easter. For me, it means almost 2 weeks off of work (gotta love Hispanic countries!!). Last year during Semana Santa I had a full 2 weeks off from school, during my first week off I went to the Canary Islands, and during my second week my mom came to visit me. This year during Semana Santa I will be relaxing for a few days, hanging out with friends, and then during the later part of Semana Santa I will be travelling to Bogotá (the capital of Colombia) to be a tourist.

However before my "relaxing" week begins, I have to survive this one. The past 3 days (Monday-Wednesday) I have attended 2 different conferences. The first conference took place all day Monday in downtown Medellín at the Chamber of Commerce of Medellín. It was an educational conference about Exporting Services in Colombia. I was able to learn all about the regulation environment for Exporting in Colombia, along with special zones in the country for businesses to enjoy tariff free conditions and taxation benefits.... wow I am such a business nerd. But it was very interesting.

Then Tuesday and Wednesday was spent at another conference which was about innovation and business development. This conference was filled with group discussions, group activities and then other lecture style sessions. This was a bit intense for me, as I was put in different groups with business professionals and was participating in the activities which consisted in discussing various case studies, and then suggesting recommendations for the company. The first time I had to speak in front of about 7 other professionals was a bit terrifying, but it was one of those Sink or Swim moments, and I just dove in, and starting explaining myself all in Spanish. Talk about intense, but an amazing experience and a tiring one at that. Both conferences were full days so about 16 hours in total.

At the end of the 3 days, I am exhausted, as during both conferences, I had to be actively listening to ensure I could follow what the speakers were talking about, then understand the group activities and therefore know what recommendations I had to think about and then make. intense.

Tomorrow and Friday, I have 2 projects I need to finish before Semana Santa starts. One is a research project about the economic future of Colombia, and the other is a translation project. This is what I love about my job, and this week is a perfect example of the type of things I get to do, as everyday is different. I get to do everything from research to translation projects and then have the ability to attend conferences within the city. My job is so diverse and everyday is a learning experience, whether Im learning new vocabulary in Spanish or increasing my knowledge on the economic and business aspects of Colombia as a country.

For all of you you doubted I was ACTUALLY working down here... there's your proof. I actually work very hard... :P but then I get to enjoy the country and travel a lot too! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow sounds like an intense, but exciting, time! You go girl! So proud :)

    ReplyDelete