Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Semana Santa Begins!

This weekend marks the beginning of Semana Santa in Colombia (along with all other hispanic countries). Semana Santa is a week long celebration for the last week of Lent and the week before Easter. It is normally filled with religious events, and processions. In Spain I was lucky to see some of the processions in Sevilla, where they wear traditional garbs, and carry extremely heavy platforms which have religious statues mounted on them. So far in Colombia I havent seen very many religious figures, however, Semana Santa just started, so maybe Ill seeing something more into the week.

As I am not a religious person, Semana Santa for me is a nice week long holiday (or in Spain, 2 weeks!). So I have about 10 days off work (including my weekends). I officially survived my week of hell before Semana Santa began, so Im just hanging out with friends and relaxing in my apartment until I leave for Bogotá on wednesday! My friend and I are taking a bus to Bogotá, because it's cheaper than flying. It will take about 9 hours each way.... thank god ipods and ereaders were invented :P. We're leaving Wednesday night, so we will just sleep on the bus, and arrive early morning on Thursday. Im definitely looking forward to seeing the capital of Colombia, and exploring a new city for a few days!

When Im back, Ill update my adventures along with some photos of course! Happy Holy Week! (Feliz Semana Santa!)

1 comment:

  1. Disfruta tu semana santa y aprende mucho español. Si quieres leer algo de poesía en español sencillo. Come on!

    ReplyDelete