Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Monday, April 18, 2011

Semana Santa Part 1: Medellín

On Saturday (the first day of Semana Santa) I headed to Envigado to the other Trainee's house to meet up with Lucho, Leo and Sara. The plan for the day was to have Lucho (Trainee from Mexico) teach us how to cook authentic Mexican tacos (yum!!). We made a list of all the ingredients we needed, and then headed to local markets in Envigado to get fresh herbs, vegetables, and meat.

Once we had all the ingredients for our tacos we started preparing everything ... cutting onions, chopping limes, making guacamole, the marinade for the meat, etc etc. Lucho was directing everyone, and giving instructions on how to prepare/make everything.

I had the job of chopping onions, and they were super strong, so 3 cuts into the onion, my eyes started tearing up really bad, so I couldnt cut the rest.
Once the meat was cooked, the feast began.... and it was delicious. The tacos tasted exactly like the ones I had in Mexico when I studied in Xalapa... sooo good!! They were pork tacos, with caramelized onions, guacamole, and jalapeños. Big thanks to Lucho for teaching us!!! Check out these photos:




Monday - not having to go to work (yay!) - I spent the day with my friends Lu and Jose. They took me to Las Palmas, which is a Mirador (lookout) on one of the mountain sides of Medellín. From this point you can see the entire city from up above, it's really incredible to see. Ive been to Las Palmas before, but never in the day! We were going to go on Sunday - but it was raining really hard, so we decided to go today instead.



We chatted for a while at the mirador and then headed back down to Medellín for some lunch, and hung out in Jose's house for a bit. Afterwards we got some icecream, and chatted for a while again. I had lot of fun with those two, and we spoke Spanish the entire time. My Spanish is definitely becoming more fluid and I dont have as hard of a time understanding when Paisas speak, as they talk verrrry quickly. So Im definitely improving lots which is really exciting!

When I got home, my doorbell rang, when I answered it the postal lady was there with a package for me from England! Super excited, I quickly signed for it and opened the box. My Aunty Marg from England had sent me Easter Chocolates... more importantly CADBURY Easter Chocolates.... aka the best chocolates you will ever taste.
They have arrived just in time for Easter, as today (Monday)) is the 3rd day of Semana Santa (Holy Week/Easter). She has a tradition of sending me Easter chocolates every year... which makes it difficult when I keep leaving the country every year - however she still continues to send them! Last year she sent me chocolates while I was in Barcelona, and now she has sent them for me in Colombia! (What a great aunt! Love you!). So Im definitely excited to eat them, but at the same time I want to savour them, and not go through them too quickly! As one thing Ive come to notice about Colombia, is Im not a fan of their chocolates... they taste different, and not such a fan. They also dont sell Cadbury chocolate, so it's hard to get good chocolate here. But thankfully I have an amazing aunt who sends me delicious chocolate from "Across the Pond". :) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment