Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Sunday, May 8, 2011

AIESEC EAFIT Awards + Multicultural Night

This past weekend was filled with AIESEC events. On Friday night AIESEC EAFIT held their annual "@EAFIT Awards" show. This award show is to award their outstanding members for their work as well as have different categories for funny/silly awards, like the best looking, most flirtatious, best hair etc.

The event was dubbed "formal" so we were all asked to dress up for it. So I wore my favourite purple and black dress that I bought in Barcelona. When we arrived at the event, there was a red carpet with people taking photos like paparazzi, and even interviewers to ask what you were wearing and other questions. They even had video cameras set up, so they could broadcast the red carpet/awards show online to members that couldn't go that night. Everything was really professionally done, so it made you feel like you were at a real awards ceremony. It was really well put together and a lot of fun to be apart of.



The awards started off with the more "serious" awards which reflected the different AIESEC values, for example "most globally minded", "entrepreneurial", "living diversity" etc. Each person that won an award in the AIESEC Values category was given a cheque which paid for their EP Fee (which is the fee you pay to be able to go on exchange). I definitely think this was a great prize to give the members, since it promotes what AIESEC stands for and will also help them when they eventually want to go on exchange.


The second half of the awards show was hilarious as everyone was dying to see who won each "silly" award. They were all voted by the members of the AIESEC Chapter, Alumni and the Trainees. Daniel Upegui (one of the VPs in @EAFIT) was the host, and he did an incredible job with it, the entire awards show was in Spanish, and the humour and jokes he told were great. My friend Sara Restrepo won the award for "Best Trainee Service" which was obviously deserved, as she helps me with whatever I need, and has become a really great friend. So I was so excited for her to win that award! :)


After the awards show we went back out to the red carpet and had a bit of a photo shoot with everyone dressed up. Here are some pics from that:





After the awards show and our photoshoot we headed over to Parque Lleras to a discoteca (club) called Alma. This was my first Colombian club experience, as I had just been to bars since arriving and hadn't been to a club yet. The trainees got in for free which was a nice surprise! Inside the club it was pretty fancy, this had giant chandalier hanging in the middle of the bar and this criss crossed shaped structure as the main decor of the club. The music they played was great, and we spent the entire night dancing. Later on in the night, these two Reggaeton rappers came on and performed several songs, singing and walking around ontop of the bar. All in all, a pretty fun night.




On Saturday I headed to San Alejo Market with the new Trainee from Denmark, Thomas, as he hadnt been there before and I wanted to check it out again. I showed him around Plazoleta de Botero, which is the main plaza of Botero statues, as well as introducing him to my favourite drink in Colombia... Guarapo! We walked through the market for about 2 hours, since it's huge and there's so much to see there. I ended up buying a pretty large handmade basket for my laundry for $28.000 pesos... i even bargained a bit to get that price. :)


At night, I was apart of a Multicultural Night hosted by AIESEC. They have various Multicultural nights throughout the year which features AIESEC EAFIT's various Trainees, and gives them a chance to talk about their country and share their culture. I was one of the trainees presenting last night, so I decided to make pancakes for everyone that was coming to watch the presentations. Not realizing that a flipper is a common cooking utensil in Canada, we had to buy one in one of the grocery stores since Leo/Lucho's house didnt have one! I used three different pans and made over 50 pancakes in about an hour. Pretty intense.



Before beginning my presentation I sort of had a trivia game with prizes for people who could answer various questions about Canada, as I wanted to see how much people knew before I started my presentation. I asked questions like... name 3 provinces of Ontario, what's a famous invention from Canada, name a famous Canadian celebrity etc. During my presentation I spoke about Canada's geography, history, culture, sports, celebrities, inventions, music etc. After I finished my presentation I gave everyone a pancake and drizzled it with Maple Syrup. Everyone seemed to really enjoy them, which was great. :)


We also had presentations from Joan, a trainee from Uganda as well as Jiri, the trainee from Czech Republic, so it ended up being a very educational and cultural weekend :)


No comments:

Post a Comment