Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Thursday, July 28, 2011

DANE... Colombian version of Statistics Canada

Two nights ago I was chatting with my friend Basia over skype when one of my roommates came into my room and explained that there was a woman in our apt from DANE and wanted to interview all of us.

DANE stands for Departamento Administrativo Nacional de Estadística, and is like the Colombian version of Statistics Canada. DANE is responsible for the planning, organization, analysis and diffusion of official statistics. Apparently the woman was there to do a survey much like the census we have in Canada. I asked my roommate once again, to confirm, that she in fact wanted to interview me, as Im not Colombian. And she replied yes... so my immediate thought, ok this will be interesting, since the interview was going to be with a semi-government official and of course all in Spanish.

So after my 2 roommates were interviewed it was my turn. I sat down with the woman, who´s named I learned was Juli, on the couches in my living room, and we started the interview. She pulled out this PDA electronic device which she used to ask me questions from and also mark down my answers. She explained she was going to ask me questions about my personal data, my job and education, and about public services as well as technology.

The questions started out simple, when was I born, how long Ive been in Colombia, how long Im going to be here for, where I work, if I pay health insurance etc etc. Then she asked me specifics about my job, what I do, if my company pays for anything extra (like rent, lunches, transportation etc etc.... i was able to joke with her in Spanish and say no my company doesnt pay for transportation because I live across the street from where I work - ps. im so loving I can joke in Spanish now it´s fun).

Anyways I was pretty impressed that the whole interview went quite smoothly and I understood practically everything, there were only 2 questions (out of about 30-40) that I had to get her to repeat again because I didnt quite understand what she was asking me the first time. :)

It´s little things like this, that give me such a boost in confidence for my language abilities. When I speak now in Spanish I find myself more relaxed, and natural when I listen and talk to people - where when I first got here I found myself having to really concentrate and actively listen to be able to understand what I was being told. Now it´s more like having a relaxed conversation... and that just how I felt with this woman from DANE... relaxed, I wasn´t nervous to talk to her in fear I wouldnt understand her. I think Ive reached a new platform in my Spanish abilities where I can comfortably and more importantly confidently have conversations with many different types of people (not just my circle of friends, where I feel the most comfortable speaking) and understand practically everything. :)

The old saying has never been more true... Practice makes perfect!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome Katie!! :D Me alegro mucho que estas mejorando tu espanol! A mi me pasa lo mismo cuando voy a visitar mi familia! :) Que sigas disfrutando!! :) Abrazos!

    ReplyDelete