Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Canada Day From Colombia!!

Today has been the first time Ive REALLY missed Canada. Communicating with friends and family via email, skype, and facebook about Canada Day has caused me to feel a bit nostalgic, and therefore made me miss my country big time today!

I was also slightly jealous that all of my Canadian friends had the day off today, and I had to work. BUT! Have no fear! The awesomeness of Colombia will save the weekend, with ANOTHER festivo day on Monday (aka I dont have to work). So I too, will have a "Canada Day" long weekend, although it´s in another country. It´s sort of nice that I still have a long weekend to relax and celebrate Canada Day in my own way here in Colombia. I plan on partying tomorrow night (since some of my friends work Saturday mornings) and share/show my pride for Canada.

For my friends here in Colombia who are read my blog (and for Canadians who need a refresher)... Canada day is held every year on July 1st, which marks the day that Canada became an official country! Historically speaking this date celebrates when the British North American Act was signed and united 2 British colonies and a province of the British Empire.

So what do Canadians normally do on Canada Day? ... Well for one, we dont have to work. And when we´re not working we´re most likely doing one or more of the following things:
- Parades
- Fireworks
- BBQs
- Concerts
- Camping/Cottaging
- ... and of course lots of drinking

The arrival of Canada Day has caused there to be some interesting articles on Canada and Canadians. Here´s a couple to check out:

"10 ways to spot a Canadian"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/relationships/news-and-views/judith-timson/top-10-ways-to-spot-a-canadian/article2082282/

"15 Things to see and do in Canada before you die"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/vacations/adventure/robin-esrock/15-things-to-see-and-do-in-canada-before-you-die/article2080684/

So I want to wish a BIG HAPPY CANADA DAY to all my friends and family both in Canada and abroad! I hope everyone has a great weekend celebrating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment