Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Friday, April 2, 2010

Semana Santa: ISLAS CANARIAS !

So in Spain there is a special holiday called Semana Santa, which is their Easter holiday, and it's a huge deal in Spain - as the majority of the country is Catholic. I personally like this holiday because we get 2 weeks off of school haha. So with 9 of my friends from API we planned a vacation from our vacation to the Canary Islands, specifically to the island of Tenerife for a week.
We stayed in Playa de las Américas, at a apartment-hotel called Playazul. The apartment was really really REALLY cheap to stay in, it worked out about 15 dollars US a night a person. It wasnt an all inclusive resort, but it was cheap, and since Im slowly running out of money this was a really good thing. Since it was an apartment we had a fully functional kitchen where we would cook our own meals. In addition to the fairly large kitchen, the apartment had a large living room, porch with a stunning view of the mountains, 2 bedrooms and a washroom.
We arrived in the later part of the afternoon (thanks to stupid Spanair WHO ARE ALWAYS DELAYED... grr... so frustrating), and so we spent our first day just walking around the area checking out the beach, and on a mission to find sunscreen before our big debut at the beach the next day. One thing i DID not like about Tenerife is HOW EXPENSIVE sunscreen is. The average price was about 15 euros for a regular sized bottle... my jaw dropped when I first saw the prices.... Thankfully we found this store called Hiperdino where a bottle of 50spf sunscreen could be purchased at the awesome price of 12 euros... *sigh* but it was a necessary item so I didnt fry under the African sun (Canary Islands are located right next to Africa, and so the sun is REALLY REALLY hot). The first day at the beach I was really paranoid about the sun and ended up putting on 3 or 4 applications of sunscreen in the course of one day.... i REALLY didnt want to burn - and since my family background is British Im really white, and therefore burn really easily. Thankfully I didnt burn at all really (with the exception of my left foot... random i know... where I forgot to put some sunscreen on it on the first day).
Over the course of the week we found 3 major beaches, and so each day we ended up trying out a different beach, and then returning to the ones we liked later in the week. I was able to swim in the Ocean, which surprisingly wasnt that cold, and had HUGE waves. There were also tons of surfers out every day, and it was really entertaining to watch them. It was definitely a lazy week, and our daily routine consisted of this: wake up at 9am, be at the beach by 10am... stay there until we got hungry around 1 or 2pm, have some lunch then spend the rest of the afternoon chillin by the pool. Then at night each room (we had 2 apartment rooms between 10 of us) would take turns cooking dinner for each other. Also at night we would venture off near our apartment to check out the local bars. The bar/club promoters in Tenerife are VERY aggressive and want desperately for you to enter their bar/club... since we had 10 of us we used this to our advantage to get as many free drinks or bottles of champange as possible lol. Also funny thing about Tenerife, is that it is a Spanish island but it's completely filled with people from England - as it's a major vacation spot for them. So everyone we met had an English accent.
By the 4th day I had actually developed a bit of a tan, which I was proud of since I didnt have to burn to get it. So all I wanted (and successfully got) was tan lines :). I felt really paranoid and overprotective about using 50spf everyday, but Im really glad I did because the sun is so much stronger down in the Canary Islands (being next door to Africa and all), that a lot of the girls I went with who were using 20/30 spf got burned. So though I didnt come back all nicely tanned a light brown (which I dont think i will ever be in my life, given my body is so white), I did come back with a bit of a tan, with tan lines and some colour on my face. :)

It was a nice relaxing week, and I felt very lazy since all we did was laze on a beach all day. So it was nice to take a vacation from my vacation lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment