Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Monday, January 18, 2010

The Beauty is in the Detail




Seeing La Sagrada Família first hand was amazing. im pretty sure my jaw was dropped the entire time just standing there in awe of this huge structure that Gaudí began building over a hundred years, and is still be constructed today. Every little piece of the church has incredible detail, and the majority is made of stone so it's all made by hand.

We spent some time outside the basilica admiring the detail of each façade which represented different stages of Christ's life. Then we went inside and they had an exhibit on how Gaudí found his inspiration through nature and showed what each piece of La Sagrada Família means, and what piece of nature it represents. Then we took an elevator to the top of the basilica to see the entire city and the construction of the upper part of La Sagrada Família. Paul said it was like a "choose your own adventure" because there were various staircases you could take on your way down, that would give you different views as you descended from the top.

After La Sagrada Família we walked over to Casa Milá, and our plan was to go inside but we decided to go on a different day because it was 10euro to go inside of that as well (Sagrada Família was 12euro... but that money goes directly to funding the construction of the church so we didnt feel so bad paying for that lol). After Casa Milá my friends Liz and Matt from API, Paul and I went on a short walking tour using a book I bought in Canada before I left called "24 Walking Tours of Barcelona". it was really good because it took us to places we probably would have never seen, and gave us the information/history on them.

We walked all the way down Las Ramblas and saw many street performers, people selling birds/pets/roosters, and lots of artists. Then my mom called me on my cellphone and that was the first time I was able to talk to her because we've had such busy schedules since we got there. So we had a nice chat while I was walking by the end of Las Ramblas.

After a day of a lot walking I had a nice long siesta. :) I think that's one of the things I like most about Spanish culture is that napping is social acceptable. It's every university students dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment