Find your Passion, and then Live it

Medellín, Colombia

Friday, March 18, 2011

Ice cream and Rolling R´s...

This past week while at a mall next to my house, Oviedo, I met up with Leo and Sara. Leo had to get his cell phone fixed with the help of Sara, and I needed a couple grocery items. After getting his phone sorted out, we decided to grab some icecream and hang out for a bit.

While sitting on one of the many couches within the mall, the subject of rolling r´s in Spanish came up. Unfortunately this is something I have not been able to master in the 5 years ive been learning Spanish. It´s something very frustrating but hilarious when I try to roll my r´s. So like the nice people Leo and Sara are, they tried to help me, for well over an hour, in trying to explain how to do it. It was hilarious, and we were hystarically laughing about it.

Both Leo and Sara would sit there, and say words to themselves with rolling r´s trying to figure out what they´re doing with their tongue, and then try and show me. Many times they´d think they had found the solution and the perfect way for me to learn, and then I would try, and fail miserably. I also felt really silly trying to roll my r´s because it´s not something I can do. So i feel like this is something I will have to practice... alone in my room... until I master it.

There are different phrases in Spanish that they teach young children in order for them to learn to roll their r´s. One of them is:

"Aire con aire cigarros"

... just need to keep saying this over and over until I get it...

1 comment:

  1. Katie, we can practice on skype! Thanks to my Polish roots I am able to do this. I promise I won't laugh :)

    ReplyDelete